(ed note: a series of collected thoughts from GIHYB contributors on the year that wuz 10)
1. The ArchAndroid, Janelle Monáe (Badboy/Wondaland)
Sounds like: A zillion things including Funkadelic, April March, Outkast, The Association, the soundtrack to West Side Story and maybe even Sgt. Pepper.
Top tracks include "Locked Inside", "Cold War" and "Mushrooms & Roses"
2. Hippies, Harlem (Matador)
They're from Texas not Harlem and they reminded me why my favorite bands are usually trios.
Sounds like: Pixies, The Minders, Violent Femmes
Top tracks include "Gay Human Bones", "Number One" and "Cloud Pleaser"
3. True Love Cast Out All Evil, Roky Erickson w/ Okkervil River (ANTI-)
I was curious to hear how Roky with a mortgage would sound. Only half of the songs sound insane.
Top tracks include "Please, Judge" and "John Lawman"
4. Catching a Tiger, Lissie (Fat Possum)
Sounds like: The Stone Poneys, Stevie Nicks, Lucinda Williams, We Five
Top tracks include "Record Collector", "Bully", "Stranger" and "Loosen the Knot"
5. Strychnine Dandelion, The Parting Gifts (In The Red Records)
Another Greg Cartwright record and so far my favorite one.
Sounds like: Emmylou Harris, The Rolling Stones, Arthur Alexander
Top tracks include "Keep Walkin'" and "Born to Be Blue"
6. Love to Live, The Living Sisters (Vanguard)
Eleni Mandell's 2007 LP was my top record of that year so this was no surprise.
Sounds like: Gale Garnett, The Roches, Lesley Gore
Top tracks include "Ferris Wheel" and "Blue"
7. Rohnert Park, Ceremony (Bridge Nine)
Finally a loud record!
Sounds like: Naked Raygun, Fucked Up, the weaker cuts on Zen Arcade
Top tracks include "Sick", "Open Head" and "Back in '84"
8. Tin Can Trust, Los Lobos (Shout! Factory)
Sounds like: Los Lobos
Top tracks include "Burn it Down" and "The Lady of the Rose"
9. The Big To-Do, Drive-By Truckers (ATO)
Doesn't sound like: DBT
Top tracks include "The Fourth Night of My Drinking" and "Birthday Boy"
10. New Amerykah Part Two: Return of the Ankh, Erykah Badu (Universal Motown)
Sounds like: a tamer but more manageable and ultimately better version of Part One.
Top tracks include "Turn Me Away (Get MuNNY)" and "Gone Baby, Don't Be Long"